Friday, September 23, 2011

Next Project

Well, the next project will be taking me back to Leeds, England for a couple of weeks in November. The project is renovating an apartment on campus at WEC International's North facility. It consists of putting in a new bathroom, remodeling a kitchen, moving a doorway, electrical, plumbing and painting.

The purpose for this apartment is to better accommodate those coming in for training or staying long term. It will be a 1 bedroom self-contained apartment for a single person or a couple.

I spent a year at this facility as a Maintenance Supervisor. When I left, there were Managers who were looking after the property and a New Maintenance Supervisor who took over for me. Early this year the Maintenance Supervisor had to leave do to personal reasons and in July the Property Managers left for Regional Directors position in Africa. Two leaders from Ministries located at the premises have added the role of Property Management to their already full schedule. They normally have German volunteers who come for a year to help with the care of the facility, But because they have no Managers or Maintenance Supervisor they have decided to suspend the volunteers for this year which leaves them without anyone who can take care of maintenance and renovations that are badly needed. I heard about this situation in August and started praying about it. The more I prayed, the more my heart became burdened to help. I sent an email to the interim Management team on September 3 asking if they would be interested in my help. They replied recently asking if we could do this project for them.

We are working on other possible places for next year, as well. I just turned down a month long trip to Japan this last weekend with Joel Corley at Stepping Out Missions which would have meant leaving this Monday.

Gary

No comments: