Saturday, June 9, 2012

Off to England, AGAIN!!!

In fact, I am already here. I arrived on Wednesday. Sorry for the late notice. We had been so busy that I couldn't get a post up, nor finish the one about Texas. And then, I brought a computer with me that needed a bunch of updating before I could use it. I finally finished all the updates today, so now I am able to complete some posts.

I am here working with 2 other guys to build out a handicap apartment. We will be joined this next week by another guy from my home church.

The work is going great. The 2 guys I am working with had already started on the project and a lot of the demolition had been done. But they also left some for me to do too. One of the guys, Rick, is a bricklayer and has been teaching the skill. He has been on the mission field for the last 30 years, both in Senegal and the Netherlands. He is a very interesting guy and I have enjoyed getting to know him some.

Phil, you already know about, because he is the one who I left to finish the last project that I came out to do In February. He is still here and is managing the project for us.

The project is going very smooth. We have accomplished much in the few days that I have been on the job. By the time I return home we should have what they call "the first fix" completed. From what I understand that to be is: all the brick walls up, ceiling framed, insulated, windows and door installed, electrical rough, plumbing rough, drywall on walls and ceiling and the plastering completed (they plaster a lot here), as well as a few routine maintenance items completed around the campus, which I have already been working on. Wow! Sound like a lot of work? Well, it is. No time to rest around here, we have work to do.

Here are some pictures of the work.

Gary

The front of the apartment.

Reconstruction of the bath wall.
Laying the brick


Old Pillar removed

Old Lintel removed

New Lintels installed

My brick work inside

My brick work outside

Installing the ceiling beams with Rick

Ceiling beams complete

No comments: