Thursday, March 22, 2012

We will not give up

Yesterday we had some disappointing news, that because of where we live we are not able to be a safe home to children whose family are in crisis.  This broke my heart, but not just mine,  the children's too.  BUT - we will NOT give up.  We CANNOT give up.  To give up is to say, 'that's okay, someone else will take care of them, someone else can be responsible for meeting their needs'.  But that goes AGAINST God's word!  God's word has told us to take care of those in need, to take care of the poor, the widowed, the orphan.  Matthew 25 tells us that when we take care of the least of these it's like we are doing it for Christ and also if we turn our back on them we have turned our back on HIM.  WE CANNOT DO THAT.

Do you hear my heart?  Do you hear my passion?  These families in crisis need help, need someone to love them, someone to help them walk through their crisis - someone to point them to Christ.  There is such a great need in our own community for foster/adoptive and safe families.

But, I have heard the argument that 'you have done enough - you have already adopted six!'  But while there are still those in need and there is still breath in my body then I have not done enough.  Please tell me where in the Bible it says we only have to do so much?!! Hasn't my life been bought at a price?!  Don't I owe everything I have and all that I am to Christ?!  Paul tells us to run the race, hard.  To train for it - does Paul ever mention giving up?  I don't think so - and I will not.  If my life ends early because I have worn this body out for Christ - then so be it!! but I will not live my life the easy way.

So what will we do?  That I am not sure.  I will continue to work at recruiting other families to be safe homes - I will continue to point others towards the joy of adoption, I will continue to do whatever the Lord puts in front of me ... and most importantly ... PRAY.

I will pray that the Lord would move us to a place where we can be a safe home or adopt.  This isn't just to satisfy my 'need' for more children.  Believe me when I tell you there are days when I don't want anymore, there are days when I certainly don't feel like I can handle the ones the Lord has already given me.  But it's not about ME!!  It's about Christ and what He has called us to do.  He has called the whole family to help children in need.  Our kids have the desire to share what they have with someone else.  They long for more children in the home.  God has not put this passion in 8 hearts just to drive us crazy!!!  I believe He will bring it about.  He will move us.

Last night as we talked about the situation we started recalling all the times the Lord has done the impossible in our lives and all the times He has proved Himself faithful.  This time is no different!  This time He will work again.  We need just be still, know that He is God, wait and watch as He brings His work to fruition and then give Him ALL the glory :)

Michelle

No comments: