Monday, September 1, 2008

Oppressing the Orphan

This post was written by Summer who is serving the Lord in Uganda with her husband and six children (ages 6 and under!). She shares my heart for the orphans and eloquently shows what most of us in the West don't normally see or hear about.


I am going to be very upfront in this post. I live in a country which is a lot like the "degenerate city" spoken of in the book of Isaiah.

"It was full of injustice, righteousness lodged in it, but now murderers. Your princes are rebellious and companions of thieves; everyone loves bribes and follows after rewards.
They do not defend the fatherless (orphan)..."


We have been called to defend the orphan. It is a command, not an option with a clause.


I have been meeting quite regularly with the local chief of police pleading the cause of the orphan. As far as we knew, there were no Christian orphanages in the area. However, the police mentioned there was word of "something" in a near by district. So, setting out by foot yesterday, I found what words can not describe.


As I entered the gate of this place, I was aghast by what I saw. Initially I thought that maybe they were fixing up the place--kids could not be living in such conditions. But I was wrong. It looked like a garbage dump/jungle. A dead stork has been nailed to the front of the house?? Your guess is as good as mine as why this was so.

I was first led upstairs where a teenage girl showed me her wild monkey sleeping in her bed. Do they not know that wild monkeys carry all kinds of diseases? Trying not to look too obvious, I began to take in all that I saw. One bedroom had over 10 beds in it--some being occupied by big, dirty dogs. Next, I was led outback where 12 children (all under the age of 3) ran about. Some were dressed but most were naked. It was nearing lunch time and 10 of the children sat down on the ground where a platter of food was set before them. 20 grubby hands began stuffing food into their mouths. All the while, cats were helping themselves to the platter, too. No one paid attention. No one is pleading their cause. More than likely, the little girls in this home will begin "selling" themselves as young as the age of six in order to pay for school fees...and this is just one home. There are 100's just like it.


When I told this story to a local friend, her response was, "this is how it is, and this is how it will always be." Everyone turns a blind eye.


Who is going to plead the cause of the orphan??

Please pray with us.



If you are interested in reading more of what Summer has to say, you can find her blog HERE.

Michelle

No comments: