Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tag - Christmas Memories

[JesusistheReasonForTheSeason.jpg]

Yesterday I was "tagged" by Adeye. We have never met although we are good friends as we both share the same passion for our Lord and have a heart for the orphan. If you have never checked out her blog I suggest you do. Currently her family are waiting to bring a precious child home from Eastern Europe.

Anyway, the reason she tagged me was to share a Christmas memory so here goes.

Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year. I love the expectation and anticipation that the season holds, obviously as a child I longed for the presents I would receive and always enjoyed the time spent with family.

Christmas in England was similar to that in the States. It was often cold, yet I don't remember a white Christmas. One of my favorite traditions was carols by candlelight at church.

During the advent season a cross covered with candles would be suspended from the ceiling in the church then, the Sunday before Christmas the church would hold a carol service. The building would always be packed, the candles lit and the lights turned out. After the service there would be a time of fellowship where we would drink tea and eat mince pies.

Boxing Day (the day after Christmas) is also a public holiday in England. On this day we would always travel to my Grandparents house and meet up with my uncles, aunts and cousins.

I think the most special Christmas I had was just 8 years ago. In the summer of 2001 my Dad suffered a major heart attack. We weren't sure if he would survive but thank the Lord that he did. After 9/11 that year the prices in airfares dropped dramatically and Gary decided he would like to take me home to England for Christmas. It was wonderful to be together with my family that year - you never really appreciate what you have until you almost lose it. I thank the Lord that He gave us that opportunity to be together.

I look forward to making memories again this year. Once more the Lord is allowing us to be together with my side of the family. My parents, my sister, my brother and their families are all going to be here with us for Christmas. With us moving to Zambia in February, this may be the last Christmas we celebrate together and I am so thankful to God for giving us this opportunity.

Well, I've shared my memories, now it's time for me to "tag" 5 friends to share theirs. This is how it works. Share a favorite Christmas memory, link to my blog somewhere in your message, tag 5 more bloggy friends, and then link back into my comments section to tell us when you're blog is ready to share!

Summer
Kathy
Dorothy
Shannon
Anita

No comments: