Monday, September 20, 2010

Real Mom?!!

I have a great deal of respect for my children's birth parents because they chose to give their children life, which is the greatest gift they could have given them. And although they will always have a place in my children's lives, they are no longer (physically, emotionally or legally) their 'real' or 'natural' parent. That responsibility and privilege was given to Gary and I through adoption. Therefore anyone who knows me well is aware of the fact that I can't stand the terms 'real' or 'natural' when referring to birth parents. Just by their use it implies that an adoptive parent is not a 'real' parent and that adoption is unnatural.

So you can imagine the look on my face when my 4 year old daughter and I were having a conversation last week about names. She wanted to know what name her birth mother gave her. I told her it was Deanna ______ _______. She proceeded to ask me why we changed it. I told her it was because she was now part of our family and we thought she would like to have the same name as us. She thought for a moment and informed me that she would rather have kept the name her 'REAL' mom gave her.

WHAT?? - Did she just say 'real' mom? I gently told her that I was her 'real' mom now but I guess the look of shock on my face was loud as yesterday she tried to make up for it.



We were standing in the line at the grocery store (actually a Wal-Mart here in England) and Jeremiah was in conversation with a lady regarding a bag of Doritos that he was taking very good care of.

Lady:    Would you share those with me?
Jeremiah:     No (shaking his head with a large grin on his face)
Me:    Will you share them with me?
Jeremiah:    No (smiling bigger than ever)
Deanna to the lady"   He will, because he loves his Mom a lot
Me to Deanna:    Do you love me?
Deanna:   Yes .... more than my BIRTH mom
Me:    Thank you Sweetheart - I love you too

She is one smart cookie!!!

Michelle
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Freedom Hollow Farmgirl said...

Hello MIchelle

I just prayed for your embassy appointment and for the Lord to move that mountain so you can be reunited with your hubby in America. Also marked Oct 7 on my calendar to pray specifically for your embassy appointment on the 8th.

My husband and I are just starting our adoption journey, To Ethiopia For Eli! So very excited.

Blessings to you!
Suzanne
freedomhollowfarmkiddos.blogspot.com