Thursday, April 17, 2008

Happy Birthday

Recently we celebrated Nicholas' birthday. I think he had a really great day, although I was saddened not to be around for most of it.

His morning started around 7.20am We allowed him to open presents before I went to class. He was so excited with what he received. A 'Rush Hour Jr' game; a Lightening McQueen car; color by numbers and a digital camera.

I then headed off to class but Gary was able to stay with him (and the other kids) as we were lacking childcare that morning.

At lunchtime he received his birthday cake (chocolate - of course!). I had to run off with Naomi for a dentist appointment, but Nicholas had a good lunch with the rest of the family and a neighbor who Daniel had invited to join us.

Nicholas then spent the afternoon playing outside in just about perfect weather (sunny skies and mid 70's).

Now, there is a tradition here at WEC that when it is someone's birthday we all sing to them at dinnertime. Nicholas had made me promise not to announce his birthday at dinner as he would be too embarrassed by all the attention. So like a good mother I promised him I wouldn't announce it - instead, I secretly asked someone else to announce it!!! And they did. So Nicholas had about 80 people singing 'Happy Birthday' to him. It was wonderful and I even think he enjoyed it.

Another WECer gave him a gift at dinner and three others gave him a little money.

Finally his evening was spent playing volleyball outside with a bunch of other people.

Oh, I almost forgot we have a rule that if it is your birthday then everyone gets the day off school, but as you can imagine we were quickly reminded of this by the kids.

As some of you know Nicholas is a boy that is not easily pleased, so it thrills me to report that when he was asked before bed if he had a good birthday, his reply was a definite "YES!".

Michelle
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun sounding day! Please tell Nicolas that we all said Happy Birthday! We miss you guys!