Wednesday, August 27, 2008

True Contentment - My Conclusion

So what have I learned through this experience of examining my life through the lens of true contentment?

I have discovered that most of my periods of discontentment were born out of sin. Whether, jealously, as I see a pregnant woman; envy as I long after that bigger home, dream vacation, or just plain disobedience as I say to God “I don’t want what you have planned for me”. I say most because I do believe God can cause us to be discontent in order to lead us to action. For example, we can be discontent with a political or social situation that will cause us to act for change.

I am learning that when I am discontent with a situation I need to go to God and ask Him if it is because I have already sinned (and therefore need to repent) or will do so if I don’t follow where He is leading. In many places throughout scripture we are told that if we turn to Him and seek Him first, He will direct our paths. He knows what’s best for us.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight.

Isaiah 48:17-18 This is what the Lord says, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.”

When I look at some of the saints that have gone before, I am ashamed at my selfishness in my desire for an easy life. The apostle Paul suffered so much in his life yet in Philippians 4:12-13 he says "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

I really believe that part of that secret is that contentment cannot be just a feeling it has to be a choice. In the same way that we chose to love our spouse through the tough times of our marriages, so we need to choose to be content, in Christ, through the tough times. James tells us in Chapter 1 to "consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

I think the primary part of the secret of contentment is knowing Christ. Paul could be content because he knew his Saviour and therefore trusted Him. I have also found that the closer I am to Christ the more content I am in my circumstances. I need to love the Lord my God, with all my heart soul and mind. To be ready to daily pick up my cross and follow Him. Not always easy, not always fun, but there is a deep, deep contentment in knowing Him.

Finding our contentment in an easy life is a sin – we need to find our contentment through our relationship with and obedience to Christ. With this I will always struggle but my desire is to continue to strive for a godly contentment.

Michelle

No comments: