Thursday, August 12, 2010

Round 2 - The Medical

The second part of this process to get me back to America happened yesterday - the medical.

Of course, the American Embassy doesn't make it too easy for you.  I couldn't use a local doctor I had to travel back to London to see one of their approved (and expensive) doctors.

The journey to London should have been easy.  The town where I am currently living has a train station less than a mile from my parent's house.  The train from this station goes directly to London - or at least it should have done.  Yesterday it was different!  Of course, I was wise and allowed almost 2 hours of extra time in my schedule in case there was a delay of any sort because I knew I just couldn't miss my appointment.  

My train was due to leave at 9.50 am.  I arrived at 9.40 to hear a couple of minutes later that the train had been delayed by 30 minutes.  Okay, not a problem, this is why I allowed extra time for my journey, right?    Time passes, about 20 minutes later there is an announcement, "this train will arrive in 10 minutes" (great) "but will terminate at Oxford" (what!!!).  "Everyone will have to change at Oxford to get a train to London."  Okay, still don't have to panic as I have plenty of time.


I finally get on the train, just half an hour behind schedule.   About 20 minutes into our journey the conductor gets on the microphone and announces about the train termination at Oxford but informs us we can catch the 11.01 train from Oxford arriving at London Paddington at 11.59.  Still no need to panic as my appointment is at 1pm and it is only a mile and a half from the train station.

THEN, the train stops ... another announcement "We apologize for the delay, we have to wait here for about 10 minutes for the signals to be reset"  ... so I wait ... well, what else could I do?!!

Arrived at Oxford at 11.15 am, totally missing the 11.01 to London.  I frantically search the departure board to find the next train - 11.31 arriving at 12.29.  That would leave me 30 minutes to walk to the Doctors - I can still do it.  Yippee, thank you Lord.

11.22 - another announcement "We are sorry to inform you that the 11.31 train to London Paddington has been delayed.  It is running 15 minutes behind schedule"  WHAT - you have to be kidding me!!!  No - this was no joke.   So, that would leave me 16 minutes to walk 1.5 miles - that would mean running all the way - and I have to admit that this body of mine isn't up to it.  So I would have to take a cab. 

As I stood waiting for the train I remember telling the Lord that I had done everything possible to get there on time and it was up to Him whether I made it or not.  There is such a peace that comes when you leave it (where it should have been all along) in His hands.

Thankfully, the train finally arrive and I journeyed on to London with no further delays.  I stepped off the train at 12.41 pm and headed straight for a taxi.  When I arrived at the Doctor's office I looked at the clock - I had 5 minutes to spare!!!!

The medical itself was really uneventful and they will have the results to the Embassy on Monday.

The best part of the day was the journey home, well, not actually the journey but arriving at the train station to see my parents, Elaina, Naomi, Jeremiah and Deanna waiting for me.  How sweet that was to have my kids run up and hug me and tell me they had missed me, especially as I had only been gone 7 hours.  It makes me long for my other reunion, with Gary, Daniel and Nicholas, oh how sweet that will be :)

So what's next?   Round 3 will be another interview at the Embassy.  That means another trip to London on the train, for which I will leave a 3 hours window - in case of delays ;)

I am hoping to hear from the Embassy very soon as to when that next interview will be.  I will keep you posted.


Michelle

1 comment:

Adeye said...

Oh my word, friend, what a crazy adventure. Wow. So glad it all worked out okay. Trusting for the next appointment REALLY soon. I can only imagine how you're longing to be together as a family again.