Saturday, January 23, 2010

Obedience ... In Action

Over the last couple of weeks in our home school we have been studying obedience. We have been asking the question - what does it mean to obey the authorities God has placed over us and especially to obey God himself? Well, today I had the privilege of reading to my family two blog posts specifically relating to obedience to God. As I read I fought to hold back the tears because I saw lives being changed and God being glorified.

One was about Katie, a single woman who lives in Uganda. She has been so obedient in the past, yet like all of us still struggles when God calls us to do more. She wrote yesterday about a time recently when God asked her to go far beyond her comfort zone and reach out to an elderly lady. You can read about it HERE

The other is Adeye and her family. She is someone I have met through blogging and has become a precious friend over the last few months, we have spoken over the phone, but hope to one day meet in person. Adeye and her husband have amazed me as I have watched their obedience to the Lord. They are preparing to rescue two girls from an Eastern European orphanage. Both the girls have downs syndrome. This in itself would be amazing, but even more so is the fact that they already have 5 children, (1 of whom has special needs) and they home school.

Now, I know you are probably thinking she must be 'supermom' being able to handle all this, but you know, she is just like you and me. She's a little scared, but is willing to be obedient - to step outside of the 'comfortable' life and trust Jesus. You can read about Adeye's story HERE.

The difference between them and most of us is that they obey despite their fears, despite the sacrifices they have to make. Why? Because they LOVE God; because they know that God will give them what they need; because they know God will enable them to do what He asks of them, with His strength; because they have obeyed in the past and know that God is faithful.

Their kind of obedience is what God is calling all of us to. Just imagine with me, what this world would look like and how many would be brought to Christ if only we would be prepared to give up our 'western' dreams and live a life that is truly obedient to Christ.

Michelle

3 comments:

Angie said...

I found your blog through Adeye's. Thanks for sharing your view on obedience...so great to share faith! We, too, used to live in Europe (Brussels & Stuttgart) and I miss it!

Shonni said...

Isn't Adeye and here family just precious!
What wonderful examples of obedience.

Adeye said...

Oh my goodness, my friend. You are so sweet. BUT, I have learned soooooo very much about what true obedience means through watching your family. You're living it. You're doing it. You're inspiring me to keep going and run this race with perseverance.

Your family has been SUCH a huge blessing to us.