Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Hiccup!

 


Last night I was finalizing the above paperwork to be able to apply for the children's British passports. After a couple of hours of work I was reading through the application notes one last time to make sure I didn't miss anything, when I came across a paragraph that concerned me. It stated that (unlike biological children) children adopted by British citizens are NOT automatically entitled to citizenship. I had also read that the application fee was non-refundable even if the passport is denied. So I decided that I needed to confirm if the children could get British passports before we sent off their applications.

After much hassle I was informed by the British Consulate in Chicago that the children were NOT entitled to British citizenship. As you can imagine this greatly disappointed me. Partly because they were not allowed citizenship, but more because they are being treated differently because they are adopted. These are my children, given to us as a gift from God and I was upset that my home country is treating them differently than any child that might have been born to us.

I was also disappointed as this meant we have to change our plans regarding how we move to England. But you know, this is only a hiccup - God knew that this would happen and just as important, He knows what will happen. He has called us to England and He WILL make a way. I just need to be patient and trust in Him - easier said than done - but I'm trying!

Michelle

No comments: