Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oh me of little faith!

I need to tell a story. One that happened back in November. One in which my faith grew.

It was November 10th, the children were at 'Parents Night Out' at our church. Gary and I had a few hours to ourselves - but no money to do anything. So unfortunately we had a little pity party instead :-( We complained about our money situation. We knew the Lord could provide as we have read many examples of Him doing so - our question was 'why would he provide for us?'

When we returned home I became a little more concerned as I remembered I had promised the kids a party on Monday afternoon to celebrate Daniel, Elaina and Deanna's birthdays. We were going to Chuck E Cheese. Now, I had planned the party frugally. We would have store bought pizzas before we left and I would buy tokens with coupons I had saved. It was going to cost approximately $30, but that was $30 we didn't have.

So early Sunday morning I brought my concern to the Lord. I pleaded with Him to show me something that day to prove He would take care of us. I told Him I didn't mind having to go without things but please don't make me have to tell the children their party is cancelled - please don't make them suffer. I hated to ask God to prove Himself to me but I didn't know what else to do.

Then, on the way to Church that morning I noticed I had enough gas to get me there and back home - but no more - I was getting discouraged.

That morning, after Sunday School someone came up to me and handed me a check for $50. She told me that the Lord had strongly impressed it on her heart that morning to give $50 to me. I was a little emotional, but was so excited to be able to share with her that God had answered my prayer through her. He had provided not only for the party, but for the gas to get there.

As I reflect on the events of that weekend I realize that if things had happened the way I wanted - meaning, if I had enough money ahead of time - I would have missed out on seeing the incredible way my Heavenly Father provided for us, the lady who gave the gift would have missed out on the blessing of the Lord working through her and ultimately God wouldn't have received the glory for it.

I realize my Father knows best, I just hope I can trust Him a little more next time. My mustard seed is growing - albeit very slowly!


Michelle




No comments: