Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Challenging Week

I have had several people ask what we are learning/doing while we are here at WEC. So, let me start with what we did last week. We went to an inner city neighborhood of Philadelphia. We were working with Cornerstone Community Church reaching the community through door to door evangelism. On Monday our group went down to the church to learn about the community and take part in a prayer walk around the area. Then Tuesday through Friday we were knocking on doors taking a community survey and when possible sharing the gospel with people. Gary and I were suppose to take turns and be down in the city 2 days each, but due to sickness here at Camp Hill Gary ended up going down 3 days and I was only able to go down on Friday.

I was so far outside of my comfort zone at the idea of knocking on the doors of complete strangers and sharing the gospel with them, but that is what we are here for. As Christians we are called to reach out to this hurting world and share the good news of Christ with them. I was very pleased that I got the chance to go, although it wasn't easy. I guess it was good for me to realize that I struggled to do this myself because then I had to turn to the Lord for strength and as Philippians 4:13 says "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength". I really felt the Lord was with us as we spoke to those we met. It was hard to see and hear how much the people are hurting and yet they reject the One who can heal and give them peace.

Then on Saturday the Church held an ice cream social to which the people we had spoken to during the week were invited. We were able to introduce them to the church members who would continue to follow up with them. We thank the Lord that quite a few people showed up yesterday afternoon.

Please pray for the people we met last week. That the Church would be able to follow up with many and that the seeds we planted would begin to grow. Thank you.

On a side note, Gary got mistaken for a cop at least once - I guess it had something to do with the short hair and black leather jacket!!

Michelle

No comments: