Sunday, March 16, 2008

Rescue Shop Within a Yard of Hell

Part of our education here at WEC is through reading books. We are expected to read approximately 1 book a week. This is a challenge for me as I am not the fastest reader or have a lot of spare time, but I have found it very beneficial to read as much as I can and I have learnt a lot from what I have read. So I thought that when I come across a book that has really been beneficial to me, then I would share it with you.

One book I really appreciated reading was 'Rescue Shop Within a Yard of Hell' by S. Dinnen. It is about the Betel Ministry (a part of WEC) which is a residential rehabilitation program which helps drug addicts and alcoholics. Betel started in 1985 in Spain and to date has since helped 90,000 through its 72 locations in 15 countries and the Lord has granted great success to this organization.

The book describes how Betel was started and how the Lord guided the leaders through the steep learning curve to a place where they have helped thousands of men and women become drug and alcohol free and, most importantly, guided them to the Saviour who gave them their freedom. The book also gave many testimonies of people who God has released from their addictions and the way He has worked in their lives.

The style of writing was not the most fluent, but if you want to see God's power demonstrated in people's lives then this book is a must read.

Michelle

No comments: